Our pics

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bad Idea!


So the other night I was really tired and Tyler was being very clingy. I had to fold the laundry, so I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV for us. By the time I was done with the first load, I just couldn't stand to watch any more kids cartoons, so I changed the channel. Usually I look for Jon & Kate plus 8 because he'll sit and be entertained by the kids on the show, but that show wasn't on. There was really nothing to watch, but then I came across the Simpson's. I used to watch this show all the time. In fact, it was a ritual every Sunday with a couple of friends from high school to get together and watch it, but I haven't been watching it lately. So I though what the heck. Tyler's still pretty young, and even if he picked up a word like stupid or crap, no one would understand him if he tried to say it. So I watched the show. About half way through, Homer and Marge are arguing, and Marge slaps Homer, and Homer slaps Marge and back and forth a couple of times. Then they laugh. Right after that, I get a good open handed slap across my cheek! Tyler slapped me! I was shocked! Although I shouldn't have been. He had this big grin like it was funny. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. Tyler is not one of those kids who hits and bites, so obviously he thought it looked like fun. I told him that we don't slap and that he hurt mommy. Then I promptly changed the channel. To tell the truth, I deserved it. I don't know what I was thinking letting him watch the Simpson's. I guess I was having a mommy moment of insanity. Yet another lesson learned form a toddler!

5 comments:

Kerry said...

That is really a funny story! It totally makes me laugh! Hopefully he won't remember and do it again!

Veater Family said...

We had a similar experience but with sponge bob. I am more worried about the commercials in between all the cartoons. They are awful.

Rachel said...

That is too funny. Oh, I mean, that's awful! Wait. I'm not sure. I guess it's sort of both?

Seriously, if it's not on PBS I don't let Lily watch it anymore. She picks up on every single "bad word" (i.e. stupid, idiot, shut up, etc.) she hears and Disney movies seem to be the worst offenders! Yup. Lots of PBS watching at our house. I'm starting to feel like I need to donate during their next fund raising effort! ;o)

Noelley's Life said...

How quickly they pick up on things. We had been letting brig watch charlie brown pumpkin alot. I didn't realize how naughty charlie brown was. On the show he says he will kick his football and fall down and kill himself. Brig started saying that so it was goodbye charlie brown!

The Bollwitts said...

You know that sounds like something I would do. Thanks for the tip. Sorry this week didn't work out, me working extra really messed up my week.