Our pics

Friday, September 12, 2008

Gavin's Tummy Trouble




As some of you already know, our family had an eventful week. It all started on Sunday morning when Gavin began projectile vomiting. I wasn't so worried at first since he has always been a little spitty, but then he started having a little blood in the vomit. I decided to take him to urgent care at Children's Mercy. See blog entry below "The Boys" for the whole story of that day.
Gavin kept vomiting after every meal all day on Monday, so I took him to our pediatrician on Tuesday morning. While we were there he vomited 3 times! Yeah! I was just glad that he performed for her, and that I wouldn't be sent home wondering if I was crazy to think something was really wrong with my child. Gavin hadn't really gained any weight since his last visit, and with the history I had given her she decided his problem was 1 of 2 things: Pyloric stenosis or gastric reflux. In order to treat the problem she sent us for an ultrasound at Children's Mercy to rule out pyloric stenosis. As it turned out that was exactly Gavin's problem. See blog below for information about Gavin's condition.
We were then sent to Children's Mercy downtown to the emergency room to be set up for surgery. Since his problem was not life threatening at that very moment, we were put on the wait list for surgery the next day. He was hooked up to an IV and given fluids to hydrate him, but we were not allowed to feed him. Gavin wasn't exactly thrilled with that idea. We had a rough night worrying about our poor boy. He ended up having the surgery to correct the stenosis. Lucky for us the surgery is minimally invasive. They were able to do the whole procedure by putting a small camera through is belly button and by making 2 small incisions on either side of his abdomen for the instruments. After surgery we were finally able to feed him, but he had to stay in the hospital until he could keep the formula down for 24 hours.
Gavin did wonderful, and we were able to come home today (after a total of 4 days in the hospital). We were very grateful to all our friends and family who helped us out during this scary event in our lives. Thank you for your prayers. We definitely needed them!

Surgery incisions

After sugery

6 comments:

Kerry said...

Kenzi, I am so sorry to hear about your little guy! I wish I would have known sooner!Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

The Lassen Family said...

Wow, so sorry about Gavin!!! He sure is a cutie though. I think he looks a lot like Tyler--sooo cute :) Let me know if I can do anything to help you guys out REALLY!!!!
Dani

Rachel said...

Holy cow, you guys! I don't believe there is anything harder as a parent than seeing your child in any type of discomfort and not be able to do anything about it. I am so glad everything ended up fine, but so sorry you had to go through all that.

He is such a cute little guy, and it looks like he's one heck of a trooper too!

Noelley's Life said...

Poor little guy. How awful for you guys too. All that worry. Glad that the surgery went well. We will be thinking of you. By the way Gavin looks so much like Tyler. Take care!

-Noelle

Becky said...

ooh Kenzi, I never heard about this! I am so sorry to hear you had to go through that. Children's Mercy is wonderful though. I am glad all is well and Gavin is feeling better. He sure is a cute one. He can match Christopher with tummy scars now.

Olivia W. said...

kenzi! i told you i was going to add you to my watched blogs...i had no idea gavin had been sick! poor baby! glad to hear that he did well.