Our pics

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I wish I had a crystal ball!


Well, as most of you already know, Brandon has an opportunity to move to Utah with his current company. Brandon of course jumped at the chance of moving back to the mountains, but I on the other hand am not so sure.

When Brandon and I got married, I always told him that I was willing to move for his career. What I meant by that was, that if the opportunity presented itself for advancement, and we had to up root our lives and move, I would do it. The catch is I'm really only willing to do this if it is better for his career and therefore better for us financially and such. I mean, I'm a good wife, and I want my husband to succeed and be happy and all, but unfortunately for me this is a very real possibility now.

Now Brandon has been very excited about this possibility of moving, but I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing! For one, I LIKE Kansas City. I even thought Brandon liked Kansas (well he says he still does). We changed our whole blog layout to support the KU Jayhawks (currently his favorite college basketball team). My family is here. I have friends here. I am finally starting to feel settled here. The schools here are awesome (not that I have to worry about that right now, but in about 5 years it will matter). The city is nice, and the neighborhoods are master planned and well taken care of (at least in Johnson county). The cost of living is good, and houses are less expensive. Utah has some good things. The mountains. The outdoor activities. We have friends and family there too, but no grandparents. No FREE babysitting =)! I plead the 5th on everything else involving the pros and cons of moving. I'm liable to come across the wrong way if I say to much, so I'm keeping my big mouth shut for now.

Anyways, the bottom line is we don't even know if Humana (Brandon's company) will even give him what he needs ($$$) in order to live out there. So, I know when Brandon talks about it it sounds like a done deal, but it's not! We still have some big decisions ahead of us, and that is why I wish I had a crystal ball!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Kenzi! If you find a crystal ball will you look into it for me too?

Not that you're looking for advice, but seriously, don't underestimate the free babysitting when drawing up your pro/con list. (Alex and I haven't been on a real date in I don't know how long). I NEVER would have guessed how much being near family matters when you're raising your babies, and not just for the babysitting. It's a total drag to realize that you're suddenly the ONLY people around who care how cute your kids are. Funny thing... everyone thinks their kids are the cutest.

I seriously don't envy the decision you're up against. If you do move back to UT though, know that I will be INSANELY jealous. GOOD LUCK!

Sydney said...

I totally agree with Rachel! Jared and I have thought about going on a date but by the time we turn around and pay a babysitter $20+ for the evening we can't afford to do it very often! So free babysitting is a huge benefit of living near grandparents.

For us, we've struggled about where to live when we finally have to make that choice and it boiled down to the past 7 years, we've vacationed to Utah to see our family. Whenever we have a week off we go to UT which is great but we don't want to spend the rest of our lives vacationing to see our family. We'd rather live by them and then take vacations that our kids will remember and love! Plus, we're looking forward to having grandparents be able to come to ball games and school plays.

On the other hand...we're going to live near our parents. Yikes! it's going to be an adjustment, I'll just tell you that.

Good luck with everything. Can't wait to hear what you guys decide.