Our pics

Monday, July 13, 2009

Potty Training


We started Potty training Tyler in May. I finally decided to bite the bullet and just do it. I was a little worried because I have heard that boys are notoriously hard to potty train. I had been putting it off for awhile with trips and such it never felt like the right time.
I went to the store and had Tyler pick out a few small toys and 2 larger ones for rewards for going in the potty. I ended up buying a 10 pack of hot wheel cars and a Shake-n-Go Diego Jeep. He was so excited! The first morning he got up I put him on his "froggy potty"and we sat there until he went. It was sorta funny watching him try really hard, but after he did it and got that first race car he was sold. He went pee 10 times that day! I thought my 10 pack would last at least 2 days, but I was wrong. That night at bed time he kept telling me he had to go. I wasn't sure if it was just a ploy to get out of bed or if he really had to go, but I couldn't tell him no when he was just starting out. He went a few more times and finally at 10 pm that night he finally pooped. I've never been so excited by poop in my life, and hope to never be that excited again.
After that first day he kept asking for cars, but I tapered him off and now he's doing great on his own without them. He's only had a couple of accidents, which is to be expected. almost right away he started just going on his own, and I would find him later with no pants on. He even dumps the pee in the toilet, wipes the seat and flushes! We'll see how long that lasts!
For now I will enjoy his excitment about the bathroom. I especially love it when he get super excited about me or Brandon going potty. He yells, "Mommy your going peepee! You get a race car! Yeah!". Who wouldn't melt hearing that! =) Plus it's super cute to see his little bum in his big boy Diego undies (courtesy of Grandma Hardy. I was very glad she did not listen to his first request of pink undies).

1 comment:

Olivia W. said...

Love all your posts! Congrats on all the milestones...potty training and paci-weaning are two super tough ones!